When brand new books come back damaged and parents say their children didn't do it. I just want to scream and yell. We're giving you damn books for free!!!!!!!!!! #librarianproblems
Two words: Sanjay Patel !!! When I first started researching picture books to add to the library collection my first year on the job, I wrote down goals and guidelines I wanted to follow to make sure our library housed the best picture book collection. It may not be extensive, in fact my list consists of no more than five rules.These days, it's hard to get kids to read books! They would rather play their video games or interact with the tablets glued to their hands. With all the amazing graphic design programs there are, it's no wonder why visual story telling has taken the place over text. That is why my first rule revolves around high quality illustration. Finding stories full of rich and powerful illustrations as well as warm inviting colors, this is the first thing I take note of when looking through books when I'm ready to start acquiring material to add to the collection. How well do the depictions tell the story, what stands out in the pictures? These ...
I don't come across many books that I think everyone should read. I read this for one of our book clubs at work and I found The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas well deserving of all the hype. It's one of the most honest reads I've read in a long time. I mostly read adult fiction/nonfiction but every now and then I like to pick up a YA or children's book and I'm really glad we picked this for book club. Starr Carter witnesses the death of her childhood best friend Khalil, who was unarmed, at the hands of a white cop. Living in a poor neighborhood but attending a fancy prep school, Starr finds it even harder to navigate both of her worlds with the decision to speak out about what happened weighing heavily on her and her family. I try to avoid spoilers so I'm going to leave it at that! It's beautifully written, powerful and thought provoking. This book doesn't hold back and it is a great reminder of how powerful your voice can be and that you shou...
Comments
Post a Comment