Cool Girls Read


The Vogue goddess and Queen Bee herself, Majorie Hillis wrote two books that defined her writing career, an etiquette/how-to/guide to life for the single woman in Live Alone and Like It and Orchids On Your BudgetWhile giggling in bed as I was reading this, I found myself rushing through my nightly routine so I could get back in bed and finish where I had left off the night before. I found myself seriously taking notes on how to live my life to the fullest and how to embrace my life as it is. Majorie became an icon and guru of sorts to single women all over American and I for one, a thirty-something in 2018 am one of those woman who holds her words to be sacred. The newest book by Joanna Scutts, The Extra Woman, dives deeper into the culture of single ladies of the 20 and beyond. 

Her follow up, Orchids on Your Budget by Majorie HillisMajorie Hillis, also became an instant success. Sarah discovered her first book, Live Alone and Like It randomly last year. I read it in two evenings and immediately needed to know more about her. An alum of Miss Dana's School for Young Ladies, she went on to pursue a career as an editor at Vogue and became somewhat of a guru to single ladies at the turn of the century. Needless to say even though she passed in 1971, she has become sort of a life coach to me. In the same writing style and the follow up to Live Alone and Like ItOrchids On Your Budget is another guide to living within your budget. Live chicly but cheaply!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joy of Reading

What We're Reading

Book of the Day!