Book Review

I don't come across many books that I think everyone should read. I read this for one of our book clubs at work and I found The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas well deserving of all the hype. It's one of the most honest reads I've read in a long time. I mostly read adult fiction/nonfiction but every now and then I like to pick up a YA or children's book and I'm really glad we picked this for book club. 

Starr Carter witnesses the death of her childhood best friend Khalil, who was unarmed, at the hands of a white cop. Living in a poor neighborhood but attending a fancy prep school, Starr finds it even harder to navigate both of her worlds with the decision to speak out about what happened weighing heavily on her and her family. 

I try to avoid spoilers so I'm going to leave it at that! It's beautifully written, powerful and thought provoking. This book doesn't hold back and it is a great reminder of how powerful your voice can be and that you should speak up against injustices no matter the consequences. 

Just trust me and read it! 
I'm very much looking forward to the movie and I hope it will be as good as the book. I won't say better because c'mon, the book is always better, but I have high hopes for the film.

- Jade

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joy of Reading

Cool Girls Read

Book Discussion: Eleven Hours