What We're Reading


What's On Sarah's Bookshelf? 

Horrorstor by Grady Hendricks: You know that scene in I Am Legend when Will Smith's dog runs into the abandoned building and Will goes in after Samantha (His German Shepard),  you see zombies all huddling together and you want to scream because it's creepy af. That is what I kept envisioning while reading this story. It's a combination of I Am Legend meets the recent television adaptation of the The Mistin a store that resembles an Ikea. Ghost haunting in a furniture store? Count me in! 

Bitch Planet by Kelly Sue DeConnick: The first book in a series of adult graphic novels, Bitch Planet focuses on exploitation and women in an off-planet prison. The narrative moves back and forth through time, so we learn how each character is arrested and their experience within the prison. Although I quit after a few seasons, it's basically Orange is the New Black but infinitely better.  

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman: After reading the much talked about New Yorker piece, 'Cat Person,' I found The Yellow Wallpaper at my local library and read it in one sitting. A masterpiece and clearly a relevant piece of fiction (although based on the authors life and many other women of the time) that speaks to women today. I cannot say enough how much I loved this story. Drawn heavily from the writer's own experience, The Yellow Wallpaper is a must for every woman. 

The Little Book of Hygge by Meik Wiking: I"m guessing you've heard of the introvert's favorite word Hygge (Pronounced: Hoo-ga). There's no exact translation because there are so many ways to describe it. Simply put, it's a Danish ritual of enjoying life's simple pleasure. Last January, I read How to Hygge a Nordic interpretation but this year, I'm indulging in the Danish form of Hygge. So excuse me while I go light a few candles, bake a few sweets and snuggle in to finish this little gem. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Joy of Reading

Cool Girls Read